Sunday, September 5, 2010

Logsplitter!

Yesterday was the Logsplitter point-to-point in Grayling. I got second in beginner women. I was confident I had been dead last, because while I knew there was someone behind me, I hadn't seen another soul on the course for miles (about 13, to be precise) and was sure that anyone in their right mind (as I certainly was not in that state) would've dropped out of the misery before the singletrack section of the race.

This race was easily the most miserable ride of my life. It actually made me CRY. (It even beats out that time I questionably embarked on a 50 mile road ride during 100+ degree heat only to bonk and suffer heat exhaustion 30 miles in.) While it was sunny when the race started, I "warmed up" with a 6-mile ride to the race start in 40 degree rain that left my feet numb for the entire race. I won't go into too much detail, but over the course of 26 miles, four individual body parts cramped. I never got warm. I had a mechanical. The intermittently blue sky disappeared for good and was replaced by constant, pouring rain. I got mud EVERYWHERE; somehow, mud made it through my rain jacket, jersey, baselayer, sports bra, and onto the underside of my boobs. I'm fairly sure I inhaled some, too.

The, uh..."course map"

I honestly think I would've enjoyed the singletrack at Hanson Hills if it were warm and sunny, and if I hadn't been climbing uphill for 15 miles already. (Or at least it all felt uphill.) I got REALLY sick of hills. The pavement between the twotrack and singletrack was my saving grace—in those few miles I was able to spin in the big ring and make up some time and move up a little. But all my misery aside, I had a great weekend. Met some awesome new friends, listened to great music, and had a really good time. I think I might do this race again next year, providing the weather is a little better.

Edited to reflect a timing mistake on 9/6/10.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Ali B. said...

Great to meet you Sat... Hope your feet thawed! Do you wear wool socks? I did on Sat and was out ALL day with no issues which is rare for me. :)

September 6, 2010 at 8:30 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

They thawed out after a 45 minute hot shower after the race. :) Yes, I did have wool socks on...they're almost all I ride in now. I think the insulating properties went out the door when my feet got submerged in mud though. I really could've used my wool jersey, too!

September 6, 2010 at 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home