Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Goodbye Alice, Hello Fall!

My road bike Alice has found herself a new home, and I am getting really excited about this cyclocross business. I've narrowed it down to a few models, and now I just have to make a decision. I wish I could build one up exactly how I want, but I can't really afford that right now. Instead, the choice lies between the new Specialized Crux Comp (in bee-tastic yellow and black!) and the 2010 Redline Conquest Pro. I like the wheels, gearing, and internal cable routing on the Specialized. But the Redline's drivetrain is a little nicer and it's likely to be a little cheaper. I really, really, really like both bikes. How am I supposed to make a decision?!

While I've been dwelling on what bike to get, it's been turning into fall. Today's air is chilly and crisp, and for the first time this year, it started to feel like fall. Now, it was plenty cold for the Logsplitter race last weekend, but that was more of a "disgusting February freezing rain with a side of hurricane-force wind" kind of cold, not a fall kind of cold. It's finally time to don a sweater and layer up the leggings under my skirt.

Fall is also my favorite time to ride once the ragweed pollen dies down. It's exciting to ride over a carpet of colorful leaves, not being sure if they're hiding roots, rocks, or a slick of mud. The folliage can change the perception of your favorite trail, and sometimes makes you fall in love with it all over again for different reasons (as was my experience with Burchfield last year). Fall's cool temperatures mean longer road rides too, with destinations like cider mills instead of ice cream shops.

Typing this out makes me kind of sad, because I'm single again and no longer have someone to go with me on those kinds of rides. It's not easy when you lose not just the person you love, but also your best friend and favorite riding partner. I try to keep personal stuff out of my blog though, so I'll stop myself before I go into much more detail.

I'm looking forward to a busy season. It will be full with cyclocross races, group rides (now that I know of local rides; thanks Jeff!), Iceman, and maybe even Massive Fallout. And that's just the bike stuff—there's plenty of camping, concert-going, and festivals in the works, too.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger 29er Guy said...

Check out the October ed. of Bicycling magazine: it's a cross special.

September 14, 2010 at 10:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

On that personal note, I feel for you. I lost my riding partner to breakup - its a little demoralizing but the best medicine I found was more riding!

September 15, 2010 at 1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home