Sunday, April 17, 2011

Race reconsiderations...

I've been riding a lot lately. And I'm loving it. I'm following a few guidelines laid out by TrainerDan™, and I'm seeing improvements. I still don't like the one-legged pedaling exercises. But, I hear they're supposed to be good for me, so I do them anyways (kind of like vegetables).

I'm feeling better than I ever have before on a bike, and strangely, I'm wanting to race less than the "six race minimum" I committed myself to. I'm even questioning whether or not I really want to do Ore to Shore this year.

Now, Ore to Shore was a great first race for me. But I'm kind of dreading the long drive, crazy mass start, and boatload of sand that is O2S. And entry fees aside, it's a very expensive race when you factor in the hotel stays and gas costs. (Which are now over $4.00/gallon again! Crazy. Makes me glad that my work commute is short, and my car is very fuel efficient.)

I'm starting to see my priorities shift a bit (what with school starting again soon, and various other life changes—though I won't go into detail here), and saving money where I can is pretty high up there. So, I'm going to shift my attention to closer races. (I am, of course, still counting on doing Iceman. I will have my revenge this year.)

Snippet from my last ride.

This was on Bullock Road, where a low-lying segment got flooded over. The road commission "solved" this problem by placing a ton of rocks in the low lying area, for about 30 meters of road. The rocks were all about fist-sized and jagged, making it very difficult to traverse on a cross bike's skinny tires. After just a few feet I dismounted and walked it, not wanting to bloody myself up if I fell over.

Still no real trail riding this season, but I plan on getting out to Addison as soon as it's dry, and joining one of those Wednesday night Stony rides as soon as my work schedule allows.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger utabintarbo said...

There are quite a few more local races. You can easily hit your stated minimum with minimal travel.

And don't count on Addison until this rain stops for a while. It is REALLY wet out there still. Bald Mtn & Stony, OTOH....

April 23, 2011 at 1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home